Saturday, March 9, 2024

1800’s Simple skirt with handwoven ties

 While surfing YouTube for a related item, I found this video explaining how to make a really simple skirt to your measurements. No pattern needed! OK, I’m in. Tell me more. Yup, super simple! Here’s the link! https://youtu.be/6xHOnS4fK2c?si=j5babrlcSH7kT7B5

This skirt requires ties on both the front and back for fastening. Did I mention that this skirt will still fit you if you gain or loose weight? Ha! This is a perfect application for hand woven bands! New pattern made up and 14’ of warp threaded and cut on 18 cards. Background is 8/2 cotton, patttern colors are a combination of #20 and an unknown very lightweight green. The 10g green was just about used up.


I have to fess up. The fabric was an old very finely woven sheet with a beautiful floral pattern. It didn’t fit any of our beds anymore and was in excellent condition, so I transformed it into something I can use and enjoy.

Warping was interesting. I used our community sewing room tables and with 2 8’ tables pushed together and 6 clamps and a skewer block to hold the threaded cards I was able to get it done pretty easily. (Pic below)

In the picture the 4 holes warping board is visible on the far right. It did a great job keeping my little fibers from tangling. Then there are the 4 clamps that the fiber went around to give me the 14’ warp. Lastly, there’s another little clamp to hold the 4 thread groups in order and tangle free. It’s the one between the tables in the back. 

When the warp was done I took the ends off the final clamp - keeping the center open, then did a crochet chain all the way back to the cards. Knit stitch holders were put through two sets of holes to keep the cards orderly and the whole thing was gently tied up for transport back home. 



Tie-up was easily done on the front dowel that attaches to the backstrap belt and off I went. Starting with AD on the top and a little thread ties in D on one side to show where I’m at in the weaving-> 4 forward, four back -> 1, 2, 3, 4; 5, 6, 7, 8. 





The weaving itself took place on our patio with the shed door acting as my anchor.  3 weaving sessions got it done. I wish I could say it was relaxed weaving, but I needed it done quickly so I can finish the skirt and wear it.  The final length of the weave is 10’5”x 1/2” wide. Just enough for the ties. That’s @27% take-in and shrinkage! That’s card weaving though, anll the twisting made take-in over 13% then shrinkage was another.13+%.  Also, I put it through a cold wash and the drier because that’s probably how the skirt will be cleaned.

Here are some pattern variations.




It’s very comfortable! Give it a try.



No comments:

Post a Comment