Thursday, July 25, 2019

Double weave tube band

This is the first tube weaving I’ve done. I had hoped to do pickup with the bottom layer, but it was too tight and just fought me, so, I decided to try soumak, which is a topical application done just on the top layer with another thread and color. Again, first time I’ve used that technique, and now that I look back at the directions from Syne Mitchell’s book, “Inventive Weaving on a Little Loom”, I see that I didn’t do it quite right, but it looks pretty on here anyway. I’m also looking at doing clasped weft technique next with gold on one shuttle and off white on the other and creating a diagonal. That will also be a first time using clasped weft. It’s interesting using these techniques along with keeping my plain weave foundation going underneath.

The sequence for the plain weave tube is: 
heddle 1 up, 
rigid heddle holes up, 
heddle 2 up,
rigid heddle holes down.

I’ll add more to this post as the piece progresses. Intended use is straps for another summer blouse.


This is very slow weaving. Very intricate.  Using #10 crochet cotton I had a lot of shrinkage. Thought there would be enough for the bans and a small pouch. After wet finishing, there’s just enough for the band on the blouse. Better to shrink now than later!
Here’s the finished piece.





No comments:

Post a Comment